Slow Cooker Rye Bread
2 1/2 tspinstant dry yeast
2/3 clukewarm water
1/4 cvegetable oil
3/4 cpickle juice
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 1/4 tspcaraway seeds
1 1/4 tspdill seeds
1 Tbspyellow dry mustard or prepared dijon mustard
3/4 cinstant mashed potato flakes
2 1/2 call-purpose flour
1 1/3 cpumpernickle flour
How to Make Slow Cooker Rye Bread
- Soften yeast in warm water. (Use 2/3 cups if climate is humid. If dry climate up it to 7/8 of a cup.)
- Add vegetable oil, pickle juice, salt, sugar, seeds and mustard.
- Combine instant potato flakes and flours. Slowly add to the wet mixture until you have a firm but slightly sticky dough. (You can use your bread hook on your mixer or do this by hand.) Form it into a nice round ball (adding more flour mixture if too sticky to handle).
- Place a piece of parchment paper in your slow cooker (large enough to come up a bit on the sides) and place your dough ball in the center. Turn your slow cooker on high. Bake the loaf for about an hour and 15 minutes. (Slow cooker heats vary so check it after about an hour. As soon as it sounds hollow when you tap it, it is done.)
- Turn off your slow cooker and carefully remove the bread. Turn on your oven's broiler. Paint the top of the loaf with a bit of egg wash and place it under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until it starts to caramelize. (You don't have to do this step if you don't care that your bread top isn't golden brown. It still tastes fantastic.)
- The final step? ENJOY!!!!!