Skillet cornbread with chipotle butter
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- two large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- four green onions, chopped
How to Make Skillet cornbread with chipotle butter
- 1preheat the oven to 400°. Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet in the oven to heat.
- 2In mixing bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, corn and green onions. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until the mixture forms a batter.
- 3Carefully remove the hot cast iron skillet from the oven, add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cornbread is Golden Brown and Springs back to the touch.
- 4Chipotle butter:
8 ounces unsalted butter, softened at room temperature, two sticks
one canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, puree
juice of one lime
salt to taste
place the chipotle pepper in a bowl of a food processor and purée until smooth. Add the softened butter, lime juice and salt and blend well. Serve at once or refrigerate and bring to room temperature before using. Makes 1 cup.