How to Make Skillet Cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder and stir together.
- Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until just combined. Do not overstir.
- In a small bowl, melt 1/4 cup of the shortening in the microwave. Slowly add the melted shortening to the batter, stirring constantly until just combined.
- In an iron skillet over high heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of shortening. pour the batter into the hot skillet and spread to even out the surface. Cook on the stovetop for 1 minute, then bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. The edges should be crispy.
- Slice and serve!