- 1 1/2 c
- self rising yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 c
- self rising flour
- 1 stick
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- buttermilk..you will need more but start with one cup
- 1/2 c
- water..you may need more
WHEN YOU ADD THE BUTTERMILK AND WATER YOU WILL NEED TO ADJUST IT TO THE THICKNESS YOU WANT IT.
How to Make Shelby's Cornbread
- 1In a large bowl add cornmeal and flour.Mix in together with a fork.
- 2To that add the butter and the Crisco.Mix together with fork until it is coarse.Be sure to mix up real good.
- 3Then add the buttermilk and water alternately.At this stage you will need to adjust how much buttermilk and water you use.I really never measure this but I do use more buttermilk than water.I mix it up until it becomes the thickness I want it.It is your preference.
- 4Grease up a cast iron skillet with butter real good.Pour the mixture into the skillet.Be sure to put foil around the handle of your skillet if it's not heat resistance.You can also cook this in a dish instead of the cast iron skillet.That is your preference also.
- 5In a preheated 350 degree oven put the cornbread in it.Cook for about 1 hr and 15-20 minutes.I just keep checking it because I like my cornbread to be real crunchy and brown.When it is done let cool about 5-10 minutes and then cut to serve.
- 6I have mostly just estimated these measurements but they are really close.When I make this dish I usually just put in the amount of butter and Crisco I want to just like I do the buttermilk and water.Its not hard even for the inexperienced cook.Hope you enjoy this.