Sausage Stuffed Cornbread
- 2 c
- yellow or white cornmeal
- 1/2 c
- sifted flour
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 tsp
- egg, lightly beaten
- 2 c
- buttermilk *see my note at bottom of recipe
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or vegetable oil (i used butter)
- 1/2 lb
- mild sausage
- medium onion, chopped
- medium pepper, chopped (i used poblano and cubanelle, but green would work fine)
- medium fresh jalapeno, seeded, ribbed & finely chopped
- 1 1/2 c
- grated cheddar or colby jack
FOR THE CORNBREAD:
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Cornbread
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add the butter or oil to a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in oven while preheating. Take it out when it begins to sizzle (5 minutes or so).
- 2Cook the sausage, onion and peppers in a saute pan until sausage is no longer pink and onion and pepper are soft.
- 3While the sausage layer is sauteing, combine the cornmeal, sifted flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk egg then add buttermilk and whisk til combined. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, but do not over-mix. It will be a little lumpy.
- 4Add the melted butter or oil to the batter and gently blend. Spoon half of the cornbread mixture into the hot skillet into an even layer. Top with sausage layer and sprinkle the cheese on top. Spoon the rest of the cornbread mixture on top of the sausage and cheese. Spread evenly.
- 5Place back in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown on top and sides have pulled away.
- 6*I did not have buttermilk, so I whisked my egg in a 2 cup measure and added about 1 1/2 cups of sour cream. I poured milk in until it measured 2 cups and stirred it in. It came out to about the consistency of buttermilk. It worked!!