- pizza dough - already made or make your own. i get mine from a local pizza parlor.
- 1 lb
- italian sausage removed from casing (i used sweet)
- onion, chopped
- 1/4 c
- grated romano or parmesan cheese
- block of mozzarella cheese, grated
- parsley flakes, to taste - maybe about 1 tbsp
- dried basil, to taste - maybe 1 tsp.
- egg, beaten - for egg wash
WARNING: I DON'T MEASURE WHEN I COOK, SO MEASUREMENTS ARE APPROXIMATE. FEEL FREE TO BE CREATIVE!!
How to Make Sausage/Cheese Bread
- 1Brown sausage in fry pan breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Half way through cooking, add the chopped onion and cook until sausage is cooked through and onion is trasparent. Let cool.
- 2On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle (it doesn't have to be perfect)
- 3Sprinkle sausage/onion evenly over dough - leave about half inch boarder.
- 4Sprinkle mozzarella and romano/parmesan cheese evenly over dough.
- 5Season with parsley and basil.
- 6With your fingers, apply some of the egg wash around the boarder of the dough.
- 7Now roll the dough...jelly roll style...as tight as possible without breaking holes in the dough.
- 8When the dough is rolled, tuck in the ends and apply the egg wash to the seems and pinch closed. Roll the bread over so that the seem is on the bottom and then put a light coating of egg wash on top of bread. Cut three slits across top of bread to release the steam.
- 9Place bread on a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal or on a pizza stone preheated in the oven. (I use a pizza stone.)
- 10Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Warning: You may want to put a pan below your cookie sheet to catch grease drippings. When I made this, the oil from the sausage spilled out onto my oven....made for a bit of a mess. Also, my seam opened, but it didn't matter. It still looked good and tasted great.