WARNING: I DON'T MEASURE WHEN I COOK, SO MEASUREMENTS ARE APPROXIMATE. FEEL FREE TO BE CREATIVE!!
1pizza dough - already made or make your own. i get mine from a local pizza parlor.
1 lbitalian sausage removed from casing (i used sweet)
1/4 cgrated romano or parmesan cheese
1/2block of mozzarella cheese, grated
·parsley flakes, to taste - maybe about 1 tbsp
·dried basil, to taste - maybe 1 tsp.
1egg, beaten - for egg wash
How to Make Sausage/Cheese Bread
- Brown sausage in fry pan breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Half way through cooking, add the chopped onion and cook until sausage is cooked through and onion is trasparent. Let cool.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle (it doesn't have to be perfect)
- Sprinkle sausage/onion evenly over dough - leave about half inch boarder.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and romano/parmesan cheese evenly over dough.
- Season with parsley and basil.
- With your fingers, apply some of the egg wash around the boarder of the dough.
- Now roll the dough...jelly roll style...as tight as possible without breaking holes in the dough.
- When the dough is rolled, tuck in the ends and apply the egg wash to the seems and pinch closed. Roll the bread over so that the seem is on the bottom and then put a light coating of egg wash on top of bread. Cut three slits across top of bread to release the steam.
- Place bread on a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal or on a pizza stone preheated in the oven. (I use a pizza stone.)
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Warning: You may want to put a pan below your cookie sheet to catch grease drippings. When I made this, the oil from the sausage spilled out onto my oven....made for a bit of a mess. Also, my seam opened, but it didn't matter. It still looked good and tasted great.