Pimento Cheese Bread
2- 4 oz jar(s)chopped pimentos (originally 2 pimento pods, moist canned)
1/2 lbmedium cheddar cheese (strong american cheese)
1 1/4 cmilk
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1 pkgactive dry yeast (1 cake compressed yeast)
2 1/2 cgold metal flour
How to Make Pimento Cheese Bread
- Grate cheese and add drained pimentos. Mix throughly.
- Scald 1 cup milk in top of double boiler.
- Make paste of remaining milk and 3 tablespoons flour and add to scalded milk
- Add sugar and salt and cook until mixture begins to thicken (about 10 minutes)
- Add butter and 1/2 cup of cheese mixture and stir until melted
- Remove from heat and cool to 80 degrees
- Dissolve yeast according to package directions (compressed yeast in 2 tablespoons lukewarm water), add to cooked mixture.
- Work in all flour with hands and let rise in a greased bowl until double in bulk, 2 hours at 80 degrees. Dough should not feel warm, but rather slightly cool to the touch.
- Punch down and let rise unti not quite double im bulk, 45 minutes at 80 degrees
- Punch down again and let rise 15 minutes.
- Place in well greased bread pan and rise unti 1 1/2 it bulk rather than double, for 30 minutes at 80 degrees, NOT LONGER.
- Bake for 50 minutes in a 375 Degree oven
- NOTE: Special care must be taken not to allow bread to rise in pan too long because it falls if it becomes too light. If cheese mixture measures more than 1/2 cup, use extra for something else, i.e. topping on baked potatoes is always in good taste