Johnny Reb Cornbread
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- 1 large
- 1/4 c
- oil (bacon grease is traditional)
How to Make Johnny Reb Cornbread
- 1Stir together dry ingredients. Then add egg, oil, and enough buttermilk to make a batter a bit thinner than brownie batter but thicker than cake batter. Pour this into greased pan. It is best baked in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven about 20-30 minutes till done and lightly browned on top.
- 2Notes: Now one of the best things about Johnny Reb cornbread is that nice crispy crust. There is a trick to getting that crust. Put your liberally greased pan in the oven and get it almost smoking hot before pouring in the batter. When you pour in that batter you should hear a sizzle and the edges will look like they are trying to curl a bit.
- 3You can also make corn dodgers with this batter. Make it as above but leave it just a touch thicker, liberally grease a skillet, about ¼ inch in the bottom, get it hot, then drop your cornbread batter in by quarter cups, fry on one side over medium heat till golden brown then flip over and fry other side till done.
- 4Now with the addition of some water or regular milk and omit the baking powder and baking soda, you can make hoecakes, the batter should be thinned to about pancake batter thickness and cook the same as the dodgers. Now you can add sugar to this if you like I would say ¼-½ cup depending on how sweet ya like it.