Italian Sausage Bread
Angela (Grammy) Derby
- 1 lb
- hot or sweet italian sausage (loose, or removed from links and broken up)
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- dried parsley
- small onion diced
- 4 c
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 Tbsp
- grated parmesan (to taste really, add more if you like)
- 2 pkg
- bread dough, 1 lb. each (or make my easy peasy pizza crust dough. works great!)
- egg white (save in a bowl to brush top with before baking)
How to Make Italian Sausage Bread
- 1Line a cookie sheet with non-stick foil, set aside
- 2Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add onions, salt, pepper and parsley. Cook onions until they are translucent, then add the garlic. Cook the onions until they are caramelized.
- 3Remove the onions to a bowl, leaving extra oil in the pan.
- 4Put the loose sausage into pan and cook until browned, being sure to break it up into small chunks.
- 5Add the onion mixture back into pan with the sausage and cover. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully as not to burn.
- 6Preheat oven to 350'F.
- 7Roll out one ball of dough onto a floured surface until it's a 8x14" rectangle. Not to thin or you'll get holes in the dough.
- 8When the sausage mixture is finished, use a slotted spoon to scoop half of it onto the dough and spread it evenly over the surface. Save the other half for the second dough. Cover with a layer of half the shredded mozzarella.
- 9Roll the dough up lengthwise, like a cinnamon roll, and tuck in the ends before you get to the end of the roll, like a burrito. Pinch the ends together to seal.
- 10Lay it with the flap down on the cookie sheet and brush with egg white. Cut slits in the top to let steam escape.
- 11Bake in the oven until golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Let bread rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- 12Repeat with second bread dough or refrigerate it in a plastic bag for later use.
Use your favorite Marinara Sauce for dipping.