Hot Water Cornbread
How to Make Hot Water Cornbread
- Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Mix together corn meal and salt. Add hot water until the cornmeal is the consistency of oatmeal.
- Pour cornmeal into the hot skillet.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are browned and the top is browning.
- Serve hot.
- You can also cook the cornbread into patties on top of the stove. After adding cooking oil to the cast iron skillet and heating, drop the cornmeal by teaspoons into the hot oil. Brown the first side and then flip and brown the second side. Drain on paper towel and serve hot. It only takes a couple of minutes to cook on each side.