Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a treat these breadsticks are! I was pleased by the ease of this recipe and the great return that came with the finished results. These breadsticks would be a great accompaniment to any soup or salad. The Test Kitchen
1 cparmesan cheese, grated
1 pkgdry yeast
1 tspdried whole basil
1 tspdried whole oregano
1 1/4 cwarm water, 105-115 degrees
1 Tbspvegetable oil
1clove garlic, minced
2 3/4 cto 3 cups all purpose flour, divided
How to Make Herbed Breadsticks
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, basil, oregano and salt in a large bowl.
- Add water and oil; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup parmesan cheese, garlic and enough flour to make a stiff dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 1 minute).
- Divide dough into fourths; shape each into a ball.
- Cut each ball into 10 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8-inch rope. (Cover remaining dough while working to prevent drying.)
- Dip rope in butter and roll in parmesan cheese. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 50 minutes. (Dough will not double in bulk.)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.