★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 cwhite corn meal
1/2 call purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
·buttermilk (enough for a smooth batter)
2 Tbspbacon grease
How to Make Great-Mama's Country Cornbread
- Place a few tablespoons of grease into a medium iron skillet. Place skillet in oven at 400F when you turn the oven on.
- Mix all ingredients, making sure that you add enough buttermilk to make a smooth, moist batter with no lumps.
- Remove skillet from oven and pour grease into batter. Mix well, then pour batter into hot skillet and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and has cracks.
- Serve immediately. We prefer ours with fresh butter, cold buttermilk and fresh green onions!
- NOTE: the iron skillet is essential to this recipe! In a regular pan, this just won't come out the same.