Spring Bunny Bread with Dip in Tummy
Photos by me.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Have you ever seen anything cuter?! We just love this fun way to serve appetizers for the holiday - It could also be fruit and a fruit dip. Your guest will love it! The Test Kitchen
- loaves frozen bread dough, thawed, 2 lbs. each
- slices of almond or 1 white jelly bean cut in half
- melted butter or butter-flavored vegetable spray
- egg, lightly beaten
- several lettuce leaves or kale
- 16 oz.
- of your favorite cold veggie dip such as ranch or spinach, etc.
- assorted fresh veggies
- assorted cheeses and crackers, optional
How to Make Spring Bunny Bread with Dip in Tummy
- 1Cut a fourth off of one loaf of dough; shape into a pear to form head. For body, flatten remaining portion into a 7x6" oval; place on a greased baking sheet. Place head above body. Make narrow cuts, about 3/4" deep, on each side of head for whiskers.
Cut second loaf into 4 equal portions. For ears, shape 2 portions into 16" ropes; fold in half.
Arrange ears with open ends touching head. Cut a third portion of dough in half; shape into a 3 1/2" oval for back paws. Cut two 1" slits on top edge for toes. Position on each side of body at bottom.
Divide fourth portion of dough into 3 pieces.
Shape two pieces into 2 1/2" balls for front paws; shape the remaining piece into two 1" balls for cheeks and one 1/2" ball for nose. Place paws on each side of body at top of body. Place cheeks and nose on face. Add raisins for eyes and almond for teeth. *You can secure cheeks and nose with pieces of toothpick to hold in place.
- 2You can also use a halved white jelly bean instead of the almonds if desired. *Do not use the jelly bean though until just before serving, or it will melt a little and get grainy. (So place the teeth on just before serving.) Brush dough with melted butter or spray with butter-flavored vegetable spray. Cover and let rise for about 30-35 minutes or til doubled. Brush with beaten egg. *Sprinkle lightly with a little salt if desired. Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes til golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Place bread on a lettuce-lined 16x13" tray. Cut a 5"x4" oval in center of body. Hollow out bread leaving a shell. Cut bread into cubes for dipping. Line hole in tummy with lettuce leaves, fill with dip. Surround entire bunny with bread cubes, fresh veggies and cheese and crackers for dipping.