Crusty French Bread
How to Make Crusty French Bread
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast, sugar and salt in the warm water. Add all the flour and mix real well.
- 2Cover the bowl (I just use plastic wrap) and let rise til doubled in size.
- 3Leave it in the bowl and pound it hard 18-20 times with a closed fist.
- 4Divide dough in half and make 2 long slender rolls.Put on a large greased baking sheet and cover with a kitchen towel and let rise again til doubled in size. Then brush with melted butter.
- 5Bake in preheated 400' oven for 30-35 minutes. Take out and brush with melted butter again.
- 6*** please note that when you first take it out of the oven it will be VERY crusty but does soften as it cools. This freezes really well and just reheat wrapped in foil.