Cilantro Garlic Skillet Bread
1 Tbspolive oil, or enough to grease skillet
2 1/2 tspyeast
2 cupswarm water
4 1/2 cupsall-purpose flour
1 Tbspolive oil
CILANTRO GARLIC TOPPING
1 tspgarlic powder
1/2 cupfresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 to 1 tspcrushed red pepper flakes
3 tspolive oil
How to Make Cilantro Garlic Skillet Bread
- Place 1 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, and swirl it around to lightly but evenly coat the bottom of the skillet. Set skillet aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast and water, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and olive oil to the yeast mixture, and stir just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and set aside in warm location for 1 hour to rise.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, shape the dough into a round disk shape. Transfer dough to the greased skillet, and gently pat dough down with fingertips, patting and spreading the dough until it reaches the edges of the skillet. Dust the top with a bit of flour, and cover with a clean cloth and set aside for 30 minutes to rise again.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove towel from the skillet, and use a sharp knife to score a + shape into the top of the dough, with each cut extending from one side of the pan to the opposite and reaching about 1/2 inch deep. Place skillet in oven, and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, combine the garlic powder, cilantro, red pepper flakes, and olive oil in a medium size bowl.
- After 25 minutes of baking, remove skillet from the oven, brush half of the Cilantro Garlic Topping evenly across the top of the bread. Return skillet to oven and bake another 15 minutes or until the top is crisp and a light golden brown. Remove skillet from oven, and brush remaining topping on top. Slice and serve warm.