Cheddar soda bread
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pats
- 8 ounces sharp or extra sharp cheddar, grated, about 2 cups, lightly packed
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- one large egg
How to Make Cheddar soda bread
- 1preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease an 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder baking soda and salt.
- 2Add the butter, working it into the flour until mixture is crumbly. Toss in the grated cheese. Mix the buttermilk and egg and add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until everything is moistened.
- 3Scoop the sticky dough into the pan, use a wet fingers to spread it to the edges of the pan. Bake the bread for 40 to 45 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Its internal temperature at the center will be close to 200°.
- 4Remove the bread from the oven and listen the edges with a table knife. Let stand five minutes. Gently turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool completely before serving.