Caramelized Onion Upside-Down Bread
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 large
- yellow onions
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- 1 large
- 1 c
- milk - i used 1%
- 1/4 c
- corn oil
- 6 slice
- bacon - cooked and crumbled
- 5 oz
- cheddar cheese -shredded
How to Make Caramelized Onion Upside-Down Bread
- 1Cut the onions in half, then into slices about ¼” wide. Separate into pieces.
- 2Place 2 tablespoons of butter in a 9 to 10 inch oven proof skillet. Turn the heat to medium. Sauté the onions, stirring occasionally, until softened and they begin to caramelize, and turn very brown. This will take about 10 minutes.
- 3While the onions are cooking, microwave the bacon til crisp. When cooled, crumble and set aside.
- 4Remove onions from skillet. Melt remaining butter in the skillet. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with brown sugar and return the onions to the pan, covering the bottom evenly. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top of the onions.
- 5In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and shredded cheddar. In a seperate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and oil until thoroughly combined. Add to the dry ingredients and stir together quickly, but completely. The batter is very thick, almost like a biscuit batter.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 7Spread the batter, by the spoon full, over the onions evenly. Spread out the batter with the tines of a fork. Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out dry. The top of the bread should be browned slightly. See photo.
- 8Let stand for five minutes. Then place a serving dish, slightly larger than the bread, over the top of the bread and turn over like an upside down cake.
- 9Slice and serve warm as a side dish or an appetizer.