I have made this also with fresh blackberries that I toss in at the end. Then I sprinkle some sugar on the top after I pour it in the cast iron. DELISH :)
- large egg
- 1 3/4 c
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 2 c
- self rising corn meal mix
- 1/3 c
- non stick spray
How to Make Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1Pre heat your oven to 450 degrees. Once oven comes to temp, spray cast iron skillet with the non stick spray and put in the oven while preparing the cornbread.
- 2Put your buttermilk into a bowl, beat egg and encorporate this with the milk. Add your oil and your cornmeal mix and sugar and mix until smooth. If your batter is too thick add about a couple tablespoons more buttermilk until it looks creamy and pourable.
- 3Pour your mix right into the cast iron pan. I don't take mine out of the oven, I just pull the rack out and pour it right in.
- 4Bake this for about 20 to 25 minutes. When its done, I let it sit for a couple minutes and take a dinner plate and set it ontop of the skillet and flip it out onto the plate. I love this served warm.