How to Make Tessinerbrot
- Note: I used a KitchenAid stand up mixer to prep the bread dough.
Attach KNEAD attachment to the stand up mixer. Add yeast to the warm water and let sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast has dissolved. Add the olive oil, salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix until blended.
- Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour to form a dough. KNEAD for about 5-10 minutes, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough is smooth and elastic. (The dough was kneaded in the stand up mixer a total of 5 minutes.) Cover mixing bowl and allow rise for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled.
- Once the dough has risen, divide it into 5 equal parts. Make 5 small, elongated loaves and set them side by side, nearly touching on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let rise for another 30 minutes.
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F/200 C.
- Use a pastry brush to spread a thin layer of the beaten egg on
the top of the dough. With a sharp knife, make a long cut lengthwise down the center of the loaf. Sprinkle top of bread with the coarse salt.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool.