Buttermilk Breakfast Bread
Not sweet like cake - it is bread, after all.
·2 ½ cups flour (i used half all-purpose and half rye flour)
·½ cup cornmeal
·1 teaspoon salt
·1 teaspoon baking soda
·1 ½ cups buttermilk
·½ cup molasses
·butter flavored crisco, for greasing the pan
·optional add-ins: raisins, dried cherries or cranberries; chopped apples or pears, chocolate chips or nuts.
How to Make Buttermilk Breakfast Bread
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Mix together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and molasses.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in 2 or 3 batches, making sure to incorporate all the flour at the bottom of the bowl. Mix until just combined. As the baking soda and molasses meet, they will hiss like two stray cats but that’s okay, just keep stirring. Once mixed, fold in any add-ins or just bake it plain.
- Place in oven and bake for one hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 – 15 minutes. Turn out on to wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
- Store at room temperature tightly wrapped for a few days. Serve with your morning coffee or tea along with some sweet creamery butter and your favorite jam.