South African Cheese Scones
How to Make South African Cheese Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- 2Mix ingredients until blended. The batter should have a drop scone consistency.
- 3Spoon batter into muffin cups until 3/4 full.
- 4Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- 5Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack, or into a lined basket. Serve warm, with finely shaved smoked ham or apricto preserves (South Africans like the combination of savory and sweet).
- 6The cheese scones are also delicious when eaten at room temeprature.
- 7Other additions:
1/2 c finely diced ham
1/4 c minced scallion tops
1/4 c chopped chives
1/4 c finely diced jalapenos (if you like it spicy)
1/2 c finely chopped bacon
1/3 c bacon bits