Shoofly Breakfast Muffins
These are great as is, but they're even better with a bit of homemade jam. Any jam is fine, but Peach Jam is particularly well suited for these muffins.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 cupsall-purpose flour
1 1/2 cupslight brown sugar, packed
1 tspground cinnamon
1 tspbaking soda
5 Tbspcold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cupboiling water
2 Tbspvegetable oil or canola oil
1 tspvanilla extract
How to Make Shoofly Breakfast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 18 standard-size muffins cups with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add butter and mix with a fork or your hands until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup of this streusel mixture and set aside (to use for a topping)
- To the remaining flour mixture, add the boiling water, molasses, oil and vanilla, and stir until well incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Sprinkle reserved topping mixture over batter, distributing evenly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out dry. Cool 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.