Savory Shrimp and Grits Cupcakes
The most difficult part was making the grits into an edible yet savory cupcake. We needed it to retain the grit flavor yet have the consistency of a cupcake. This is our own original recipe which we entered into a local cupcake competition for charity.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
How adorable are these? What a unique way to present shrimp and grits. The flavors are fab. You could use the ham mousse a spread alone it's that tasty. You can bet your guests will be amazed when you serve these "cupcakes" at your next dinner party. The Test Kitchen
FOR THE CUPCAKES
2 cflour, all-purpose
1 Tbspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 stickbutter, unsalted, melted
1 cstone ground grits, prepared per pkg
1 ccheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cscallions, chopped
FOR THE TOPPING
6 oztasso ham
12 largeshrimp, peeled, deveined and roasted with creole seasoning
1 Tbspcreole seasoning (to season the shrimp)
8 ozcream cheese, room temperature
How to Make Savory Shrimp and Grits Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add grits, eggs, melted butter, cheese, scallions and milk until just combined.
**The dough will be VERY sticky. This is normal.
- Drop by spoonfuls into lightly greased (regular sized) muffin tins. I think these would be great as mini muffins as well but have not timed the baking for this change.
Bake for about 15 minutes** or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
**Oven times may vary
- Grind tasso ham in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Cream together the cream cheese and the ham mixture.
- Put a dollop of tasso ham mousse on top of each cupcake and top with one grilled or roasted shrimp.
- NOTES: We found that leftover grits or grits which had come to room temperature worked the best in the dough formation. We also like these muffins best served fresh from the oven.