These beautiful muffins need to be eaten warm.
recipe and photo from Pioneer Woman Cooks
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 lb. butter, softened, 2 sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- note: to make sour milk, add 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar to just under 1 cup low fat milk and stir together let sit for 5 minutes.
How to Make Marmalade Muffins
- 1Preheat oven to 375. Grate the zest from the oranges. Use a microplane zester.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Crack in the eggs and mix til well combined
- 2Sift flour onto a sheet of waxed paper. Add it to the bowl. Gently stir in the mixture using as few strokes as possible so that the muffins aren’t tough.
- 3In a small cup or bowl, mix the buttermilk and baking soda. Add buttermilk mixture to muffin batter and mix til just combined
- 4Add orange zest. Mix just til combined, being careful not to overmix. If you get some batter on your fingers, just lick it off.
- 5Grease 24 mini muffin tins and fill each 2/3 full with muffin batter. A small cookie scoop is good for this.
Bake for 12 to 17 minutes, til light brown. Watch to make sure they don’t get too brown.
to make glaze, juice the 2 orange whose zest you just stole. Add the orange juice and brown sugar to a medium bowl and stir together just til mixed. Don’t worry about dissolving the brown sugar completely. You want the glaze to be grainy and textured.
As soon as the muffins are done, drizzle the glaze all over the top. Be sure to thoroughly coat each muffin. Don’t worry if the glaze drips all over the pan. You can lick it up later.