1/2 cbutter or margarine
1 call-purpose flour
1 tspbaking powder
1/4 tspbaking soda
1/4 cfresh lemon juice
2 tspgrated lemon rind
·additional grated lemon rind and sugar for topping (optional)
How to Make Lemon Muffins
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in egg yolks. Beat until light.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture alternately with lemon juice.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into muffin mixture along with 2 tsp lemon rind, mixing just until ingredients are blended.
- Fill buttered muffin tins about 3/4 full. Sprinkle each muffin with a bit of additional sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes, or until muffins are golden. Cool. Remove from tins and cool completely. Serve as is or invert. Sprinkle with additional grated lemon rind and serve.