Junior's 'Berries on Top' Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
2 1/4 call purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder
1/4 lbsweet unsalted butter, at room temperature (1/2 cup)
1 1/4 csugar
2extra large eggs
1 Tbspreal vanilla extract
3 cfresh blueberries (not frozen)
How to Make Junior's 'Berries on Top' Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
- First of all, divide up your berries into three different batches - set aside a 2/3 cup portion for mashing, then divide the remaining berries into two equal portions - one portion for folding into the batter, and the remainder for dropping on top.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 6 jumbo muffins tins or 12 regular size muffin tins well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, on high speed with an electric mixer, cream the butter about 2 minutes- until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer still running, gradually add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
- Continue to beat until creamy and batter looks light yellow.
- Mix in vanilla and mashed berries until well combined.
- Lower speed of mixer to medium, beat in some of the flour mixture, then some of the milk, and then more flour etc- in three portions each.
- Beat batter until airy and well combined, about 1 more minute.
- Gently fold in one of the portions of whole berries.
- Fill muffing tins almost all the way full.
- Drop the remaining portion of whole berries individually atop the muffin batter.
- Bake about 1o minutes, then REDUCE oven temp to 375 F and continue baking until golden brown and set in the center, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.