Buttermilk Spice Cereal Muffins
I baked for 22 - 24 minutes to get a golden brown.
1 cquick cooking oats - not instant
1 cshredded wheat cereal, crushed
1 call-bran cereal
1 1/2 csugar
1 1/2 csplenda or can use all sugar
5 call purpose flour
5 tspbaking soda
5 tspbaking powder
3 tspsalt - can use less according to taste
1 qtlowfat buttermilk
1 Tbspcinnamon - can use more or less according to taste
1 1/2 chot water
How to Make Buttermilk Spice Cereal Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat 1 1/2 cups water in Microwave for 2 minutes, measure out cereals and mix together in a separate bowl. Pour hot water over cereals, stir ensuring all cereal is wet, set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well incorporated: set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the shortening, eggs and sugar together.
- Add dry ingredients (I usually add one cup at a time) mixing well.
- Add buttermilk, mixing until well incorporated. Batter should be thick and smooth. (Like a thick cake batter.)
- Add cereal mixture, stirring to break up into smaller clumps. Beat with mixer until there are no more clumps. Add cinnamon to taste, stirring to incorporate into batter.
- Bake in muffin/cupcake liners or in a well greased muffin tin for 22 - 24 minutes in a 350 degree oven until muffins are a light golden brown.