Banana Bread/Muffin Heaven
On one of the ones pictured here I made a brown sugar/caramel glaze to drizzle over the top of the bread or fill the muffins...heavenly!
On one I did a streussel topping.
And sometimes I fill the muffins with a cream cheese filling, or use as a spread for the bread.
Glaze recipe and Cream Cheese Filling recipe in directions.
Happy Baking!!! :o)
- 3 1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- baking soda
- 2 tsp
- pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, optional
- 1 tsp
- eggs, room temp
- 2 1/3 c
- 1 c
- vegtable oil
- 3 c
- mashed bananas, approx 6 large bananas
- 1/3 c
- sour cream
- 2 tsp
- 1 1/3 c
- walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped, if desired
How to Make Banana Bread/Muffin Heaven
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Butter and line bottoms with parchment 2 9x5 loaf pans. I used 2 smaller (approx 8x4) loaf pans and a muffin pan for 12 muffins, which I lined with papers.
- 2Sift together flour, soda, pie spice, salt and set it aside.
Beat together eggs and sugar at medium high speed for about 5 minutes, until very thick and pale in color. Scraping bowl occasionally. Reduce speed and slowly drizzle in oil. Then add bananas, sour cream and vanilla, mixing well. Then gently mix in flour mixture, until just combined, stir in nuts.
- 3Divide batter between the loaf pans, or fill 12 muffin cups 2/3 full and divide remaining batter between the two smaller loaf pans.
- 4Bake large loaves at 350 for 1 hour.
Bake muffins at 350 for 20 minutes.
Bake small loaves at 350 for 45 min.
Bake mini loaves at 350 for 30-35 min.
They are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool in pans 10 mins. then turn out onto cooling racks, turning loaves upright to cool completely.
- 5Caramel Glaze, it is not needed, but when I make it as a gift or to sell, I will add it, as it adds a nice touch.
Caramel Glaze: 1/4c butter, 1/2c milk, 1c brown sugar, 2T corn syrup...slowly over medium heat stirring constantly, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in 1t vanilla and pinch of salt. Allow to cool completely, stirring occasionally. Pour into squeeze bottle (if desired) and store in refrigerator. Microwave to warm up for drizzle over bread or muffins and/or even on ice cream!!!
- 6Cream Cheese Filling/Spread, it is not needed, but sure tastes good!!!
Beat together 8oz cream cheese, soft, and 1/4 c butter, soft. Add in 1 c powdered sugar beating until smooth and creamy. Use to spread on banana bread or fill muffins.
- 7Helpful Hint: when I mash my bananas I put them in the food processor and add 1-2t lemon juice to prevent browning, and pulse a few times until the right consistency I want.