How to Make Pita Breads
- 1Combine the flour,yeast and salt. Combine the oil and 1 cup water then add half of the flour mixture, stirring in the same direction, until the dough is stiff. Knead in the remaining flour. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with a clean dishtowel and leave in a warm place for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- 2Knead the dough for 10 minutes or until smooth. Lightly oil the bowl, place the dough in it, cover again and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 3Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. With lightly floured hands, flatten each piece, then roll out into a round measuring about 8 inches about about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Keep the rolled breads covered while you make the remaining pitas.
- 4Heat a heavy frying pan over a medium high heat. When hot, lay one piece of flattened dough in the pan and cook for 15-20 seconds. Turn it over and cook the second side for about 1 minutes.
- 5When large bubbles start to form on the bread, turn it over again. It should puff up. Using a clean dishtowel, gently press on the bread where the bubbles have formed. Cook for a total of 3 minutes. then remove the pita from the pan. Repeat with the remaining dough. Wrap the pita breads in a clean dishtowel, stacking them as each one is cooked. Serve the pitas hot while they are soft and moist.