- 2 c
- all purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- milk, room temp or evap milk
- vegatable shortening, veg oil or peanut oil for frying
- honey or cinnamon/sugar optional toppings
How to Make Native American Fry Bread
- 1Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in med bowl make a well in center. Pour in milk. Stir until dough comes together in a shaggy mass. Knead briefly (about 10 turns) sprinkling extra flour so as not be too sticky. Let rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 2Heat about 4-5 inches of oil in a deep skillet or electric fryer (375 degrees). Divide dough into 8-10 balls and pat or roll out each one to about 4 inches in diameter to form a flat disc. Fry in oil 2-3 mins each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with Cinnamon/sugar, powdered sugar, enjoy plain, or use as the base for taco mixings.