Live from Greece! It's Greek Flatbread
OLIVE AND FETA MIXTURE:
1 ckalamata olives, pitted and minced (read recipe intro)
3-6 clovegarlic, peeled and minced
8 ozfeta, crumbled (myzithra would be a fabulous in addition to the feta!)
2/3 cwalnuts, chopped small
1/2 craisins (i used a mix of dried fruit including flame & golden raisins, currants, tart cherries & cranberries)
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1/4 cbutter, softened
6 1/2-7 1/ cunbleached white all-purpose flour
4 1/2 Tbspactive dry yeast
How to Make Live from Greece! It's Greek Flatbread
- Prepare the BASIC YEAST BREAD DOUGH: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.Turn out the bread dough onto a lightly oiled work surface; divide in half. Keep the other half covered.
- Divide the one half of dough into 16 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel and let rest 5 minutes.
- Flatten each ball of dough to 1/2" thickness.
Place each ball 2" apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Whisk together the two eggs. Brush dough with the beaten eggs. Note: I skipped the egg wash for the test recipe.
- OLIVE AND FETA MIXTURE: In a non-reactive mixing bowl combine the kalamata olives, garlic, feta cheese, walnuts, dried fruit and olive oil.
- Divide half of the olive mixture into 16 equal portions. Garnish each dough ball with 1 portion of the olive mixture pressing the topping into the dough slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Cover with a tea towel; let rise 45 minutes. Repeat with the remaining half of dough.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a small ovenproof pan in the oven on the lowest rack.
- Sprinkle tops of dough with coarse salt, if desired. Note: I skipped the coarse salt because feta cheese is quite salty.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven. Carefully place 4-5 ice cubes in the small ovenproof pan then immediately close the oven door.
- Bake the bread 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
After removing from the oven, transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool.