Live from Greece! It's Greek Flatbread
- 1 c
- kalamata olives, pitted and minced (read recipe intro)
- 3-6 clove
- garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 oz
- feta, crumbled (myzithra would be a fabulous in addition to the feta!)
- 2/3 c
- walnuts, chopped small
- 1/2 c
- raisins (i used a mix of dried fruit including flame & golden raisins, currants, tart cherries & cranberries)
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 c
- 1/4 c
- butter, softened
- 6 1/2-7 1/ c
- unbleached white all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 Tbsp
- active dry yeast
- 2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
OLIVE AND FETA MIXTURE:
How to Make Live from Greece! It's Greek Flatbread
- 1Prepare the BASIC YEAST BREAD DOUGH: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.Turn out the bread dough onto a lightly oiled work surface; divide in half. Keep the other half covered.
- 2Divide the one half of dough into 16 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel and let rest 5 minutes.
- 3Flatten each ball of dough to 1/2" thickness.
Place each ball 2" apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Whisk together the two eggs. Brush dough with the beaten eggs. Note: I skipped the egg wash for the test recipe.
- 4OLIVE AND FETA MIXTURE: In a non-reactive mixing bowl combine the kalamata olives, garlic, feta cheese, walnuts, dried fruit and olive oil.
- 5Divide half of the olive mixture into 16 equal portions. Garnish each dough ball with 1 portion of the olive mixture pressing the topping into the dough slightly with the palm of your hand.
- 6Cover with a tea towel; let rise 45 minutes. Repeat with the remaining half of dough.
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a small ovenproof pan in the oven on the lowest rack.
- 8Sprinkle tops of dough with coarse salt, if desired. Note: I skipped the coarse salt because feta cheese is quite salty.
- 9Place the baking sheet in the oven. Carefully place 4-5 ice cubes in the small ovenproof pan then immediately close the oven door.
- 10Bake the bread 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
After removing from the oven, transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool.