How to Make Kentucky Griddle Cakes
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium size bowl.
- Combine the buttermilk, egg and oil in a small bowl.
- Stir the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture just until well blended (the batter will still be slightly lumpy).
- Lightly oil the griddle or large frying pan. Heat over medium high heat until a drop of water will dance across the surface.
- Stir the batter and drop a test cake (1/4 cup of batter) on the griddle.
- Cook until the bubbles burst on the top surface and the bottom is light brown.
- Turn and cook the other side until it is browned (1-2 minutes).
- (Add more buttermilk to the batter if the first cake does not spread well.)
- Serve the griddle cakes with the warm syrup.