Homemade Ciabatta Bread - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
Ciabatta is an Italian white bread made with wheat flour and yeast. The loaf is somewhat elongated, broad and flattish. It's famous for a sandwich bread.
This was my first attempt in baking Ciabatta and I must say we were pleased. Not sure it will hold out until tomorrow when I had planned on making sandwiches. This bread is absolutely delish right out of the oven. Of course smeared with lots of butter!!
adapted from several recipes
- 3 1/2 c
- bread flour
- 1/2 c
- wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- warm water
- 1/4 tsp
- granulated yeast (or equivalent)
How to Make Homemade Ciabatta Bread - Dee Dee's
- 1Whisk together the bread and wheat flour with salt; set aside.
- 2Pour warm (110 degrees) water into a medium size mixing bowl. Stir in the yeast with spoon.
- 3Add the flour mixture to your bowl of yeasty water; stir into a heavy batter. I used a wooden spoon.
- 4Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic. Now this is where it gets tricky, or least it did for me. Set the bowl with dough in a safe place and forget it for about 18 hours. I read and studied several recipes for this bread and the time ranged from 8 hours to 18 hours. I guess maybe it becomes like a "sour" dough? Anyway I let my dough set for 8 hours and it turned out great.
- 5Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. And, prepare your pan. I used a 10 x 15 airbake cookie sheet that I placed parchment paper on. I then spinkled with cornmeal.
- 7At this point you can spinkle with your favorite herbs. I used Italian seasoning. NOTE: this is entirely optional. I love the added flavor.