1 cself-rising flour
1 cself-rising cornmeal, or from a mix (I use Aunt Jemima or White Lily)
1/4 cvegetable oil or bacon grease
·oil for frying
How to Make HOECAKES
- Mix well all ingredients, except for the frying oil.
- Preheat the frying oil in a medium or large skillet over medium heat. I start with about 2 TBS and add more if necessary. I use a cast iron griddle and get it very hot to make a nice crust on the outside of the cakes.
- Drop the batter, by full tablespoons, into the hot skillet. Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake.
- Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side.
- Keep warm in 200 degree oven with paper towels between cakes.
Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.