- 1 c
- self-rising flour
- 1 c
- self-rising cornmeal, or from a mix (I use Aunt Jemima or White Lily)
- 1 Tbsp
- 3/4 c
- 2/3 c
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil or bacon grease
- oil for frying
How to Make HOECAKES
- 1Mix well all ingredients, except for the frying oil.
- 2Preheat the frying oil in a medium or large skillet over medium heat. I start with about 2 TBS and add more if necessary. I use a cast iron griddle and get it very hot to make a nice crust on the outside of the cakes.
- 3Drop the batter, by full tablespoons, into the hot skillet. Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake.
- 4Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side.
- 5Keep warm in 200 degree oven with paper towels between cakes.
Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.