Corn and Wheat Tortillas
I used a combination of Masa, Spelt and Whole Wheat flour in these and it worked out really nice. I love the consistency of this dough.
- 2 c
- masa harina
- 1 c
- bread flour
- 1 c
- whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/8 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 1/2 c
- to 2 1/2 cups warm water, as needed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- cold shortening cut in small pieces
How to Make Corn and Wheat Tortillas
- 1Heat your water in a small sauce pot to 105-120'F.
- 2Lightly oil the bowl of your food processor with a silicone brush.
- 3Combine all the flours, baking soda, cream of tartar, shortening and salt. Put it into the bowl of your food processor.
- 4Turn the processor on and start adding the warm water until the dough pulls away from the sides and starts to roll around.
- 5Remove the dough sprinkle some oil on it and knead for at least 5 minutes.
- 6Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel and set in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 7I turned on my oven with the light on and when it reached 100'F I turned it off, then put the bowl with the dough in it on a glass plate and put it into the oven. This worked great.
- 8When done, remove the dough bowl from the oven. The dough should be nice and soft, slightly sticky and pliable.
- 9Make about 16-1 oz balls and put them back in the bowl and cover with the tea towel.
- 10Heat up a tortilla griddle or cast iron fry pan without any oil. Make sure its good and hot. I use gas so medium high was plenty hot.
- 11Roll out a ball and put it on the hot tortilla griddle for 1 minute, flip and cook for 1 more minute. If you have a tortilla press by all means use it, I have one and it's so much easier then rolling the dough out.
- 12Stack each finished tortilla on a plate. The tortillas will get a bit stiff when they cool so you can warm them in a tortilla warmer in the microwave or you can reheat them in your fry pan for 20-30 seconds on each side.
- 13Serve with your favourite fillings.