Aebelskiver (Ebleskiver, Aebleskiver) Recipe
We found we liked best to coat them with a mixture of powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar. There are many ways to serve them.
Maybe someone at Just A Pinch who has more experience in this area can share other recipes or techniques for making them turn out great.
- 2 c
- eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 c
- white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 4 Tbsp
- melted butter
- powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar for dusting
- shortening or butter for greasing pan
How to Make Aebelskiver (Ebleskiver, Aebleskiver) Recipe
- 1Heat a well-greased aebelskiver pan over medium heat. When water dances on the surface, you can turn it down to medium-low to prevent burning.
- 2Mix together all ingredients except egg whites, and beat until light and well-blended. Let batter sit about 30 minutes for the baking powder to work. Then beat the egg whites stiff, and fold in evenly before cooking.
- 3Brush the wells of the aebelskiver pan with melted shortening. Fill the wells not quite to the top, using a spoon to drip batter in. Do not overfill.
- 4Allow to cook until tops are almost dried out and edges are browned and starting to pull away from sides. Carefully slide a knife or knitting needle around the edges, and turn the pancake over. Allow it to cook on the other side until lightly browned. Remove to a bag filled with powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar for dusting. Shake well and set out on paper towels to cool.
- 5Continue to brush wells with melted shortening, filling wells with batter, and cooking the pancakes until all are done.
- 6Helpful hints: Do not try to turn the pancakes too soon. If the batter is still too soft the pancakes will collapse. Also, watch the temperature of the pan. You may need to set it on and off the heat to prevent burning. This process takes time and patience.
- 7Other ways of making aebelskivers:
Fill well only 1/2 full of batter. Place a little slice of apple or banana on top, then finish filling the well and cook as above. Or, fill well halfway and then place a teaspoon of jam or preserves on top, and finish filling.