Sweet Potato Bread
Even though we aren't enjoying Fall weather here in Southern CA,I thought I would make this bread for after service on Sunday.
It's a delicious tea bread and it freezes well. Good plain,buttered or spread with softened cream cheese.
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 c sweet potato, cooked,mashed * see note
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/3 c light brown sugar
- 1/2 c butter,melted,rm. temp.
- 2 large eggs,rm temp.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c milk
How to Make Sweet Potato Bread
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with baking spray.
Combine the measured flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the sweet potato,sugars on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the melted butter and mix on low speed until smooth. Add the eggs 1 at a time, mixing well.
4. On low speed add half of the reserved flour mixture, then 1/2 of the milk& vanilla. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and milk, mixing until just combined, about 1 minute.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
** The first time I made this bread,I used some sweetened and lightly spiced with cinnamon cooked sweet potatoes,so now I cook the potatoes& beat in 3 T sugar & 1/4 t. cinnamon.