1/4 cwarm water
1/4 csugar, plus 1 tsp. sugar for proofing yeast
4 tspactive dry yeast
1/4 csoft butter
3 1/2 ca.p. flour (plus more)
3/4 cscalded milk, then cooled
OTHER INGREDIENTS TO FOLLOW WITH REMAINING STEPS
How to Make OMG Caramel Rolls (Sticky Rolls)
- Scald milk in microwave. (About a minute & 20 seconds.) The milk should be very hot, foamy around the edges, but do not boil. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl dissolve 1 1/2 packets (or 4 tsp. jar yeast) with 1 tsp. granulated sugar and 1/4 cup very hot tap water. (About 110 degrees.) Set aside and let yeast work.
- Use a large bowl to mix the lukewarm milk, butter, egg, sugar and salt together. Add yeast.
- Add about 3 cups of flour - up to 3 1/2 cups total. Gently mix with wooden spoon. Add enough flour so that a dough ball forms, but dough is very tacky to the touch.
- Flour your work surface or use a Silpat mat. Turn out dough ball and gently knead about 5 minutes. Dough should be smooth, but a little sticky to the touch. Don't overwork dough.
- Grease a large bowl with soft butter or oil and place dough inside. "Round up" dough so it is coated with butter or oil. Cover with plastic wrap. (Tip: You can use a felt tip pen to draw a circle on the plastic, this helps you see when the dough has doubled up.)
- Let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- While dough is rising, lightly grease or spray a 15x10 inch glass pan.
- Make Caramel Sauce: In a medium sauce pan: Blend 3/4 cup of brown sugar with 1/8th teaspoon ground cinnamon. Add 1/3 cup butter, 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, a pinch of salt, and a splash of vanilla extract.
- Slowly heat until bubbles form around the edge of pan. Stir frequently, don't boil!
- Pour sauce in greased baking pan. Set aside to cool.
- After dough has risen: Punch down and let rest 10 minutes.
- Pat out dough on lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to about 1/4 inch - 1/3 inch thickness. You want a rectangle shape, about 12 inches x 16 inches.
- Filling For Rolls: Mix 1 cup packed brown sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon together. (Generous teaspoons if you want to add a little kick to your caramel rolls.) Plus 1/4 cup soft or melted butter.
- Spread soft butter over rectangle, leaving 1/4 inch of the "short edge" clean. (To seal the roll shut.) Sprinkle the cinnamon / brown sugar mixture over the buttered dough.
- Roll up the short side (the 12 inch side) tightly toward the top. Pinch edge to seal together. (A little water on edge will help keep seal together.)
- Use a serrated knife or unflavored dental floss to cut rolls. You want rolls that are about 2 inches thick.
- Place rolls in pan, cut side down on top of sauce mixture. Don't crowd, try to leave about an inch space between.
- Let rolls rise in pan approx. 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake rolls 20 - 25 min. until golden brown. If you tap the rolls they should sound hollow.
- Immediately cover baking pan (tightly) with a large tray or jelly roll pan, and carefully flip rolls out of pan. Caramel sauce is very hot! Scrape out any remaining sauce and spread on top of rolls. *I Use Ov-Gloves to handle the large, hot baking dish!
- Rolls are very good the next day when you spread a little butter on top and heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds,