Chocolate Zucchini Loaf
C L Hackett
Special note - you can replace the cinnamon with Chinese 5-Spice Powder for a slightly different version that is equally delicious.
Obviously, if you have nut allergies or simply don't like them - they can be an optional ingredient. You may notice that this recipe has less oil than most quick breads yet it is very moist because of the addition of the banana.
- 3 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c
- cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- 2 c
- 3 large
- 1/2 c
- oil (any light-flavored vegetable - canola, safflower, etc.)
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 medium
- 2 - 3 c
- zucchini, grated ** (see note listed below)
- 1 c
- nuts, chopped (pecan, walnut, etc.)
- 1 c
- semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Loaf
- 1Heat oven to 350. Grease two 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder & powder soda, plus salt. Mix well and set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, combine sugar and eggs; beat well. Add oil, vanilla and the banana; beat until combined. Stir in Zucchini and add the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. Finally, add in nuts and/or the chocolate chips/chunks.
- 4Pour mixture into the greased loaf pans and bake for 55-60 minutes.
Cool in Pans for 10 min. Then finish on racks.
- 5** I do not actually measure the grated zucchini. I simply use what I have on hand. The bread turns out terrific with any measurement in-between 2 and 3 cups.