Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
The recipe is handwritten on a piece of lined, very stained from years of use, piece of paper.
I hadn't thought of making these in ages but the recipe fell out of an old cookbook yesterday when I was searching for something else. I checked and had all the ingredients; so figured why not - just for old time's sake.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°),divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup finely chopped nuts, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- additional miniature semisweet chocolate chips and/or nuts, optional
- shaved chocolate curls, optional
How to Make Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt and remaining water. Stir in 2 ½ cups flour and cocoa. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.
- 4Roll each portion into a 12”x 10” rectangle; brush with melted butter. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, chocolate chips and nuts if desired; sprinkle over dough to within ½” of edges.
- 5Roll up each jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 10 slices.
- 6Place cut side down in a greased baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 7Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. (I stick a toothpick in the thickest part of one near the center of the pan and if it comes out clean...they're done.)
- 8Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread/drizzle over rolls while slightly warm; sprinkle with additional chocolate chips and nuts, or shaved chocolate curls if desired.