Brioche Petal Wreath
Because of the long proofing, 6 hours or over night the first and 4-5 hours the second, it really is a 2 day project for me.
2 1/2 c(350 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 c(375 g) bread flour
3 1/4 tsp(1 1/2 pksg) active dry yeast
1/3 cup + c(92 g) sugar (1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp)
22 Tbsp(2 ¾ sticks, 310 g) butter at room temperature, cut into 10-12 pieces
3/4 cbrown sugar
3/4 cfinely granulated sugar
3/4 cchopped walnuts or pecans
How to Make Brioche Petal Wreath
- Mix flours, yeast, sugar, salt, water and 5 eggs in stand mixer on low speed.
- When thoroughly mixed, continue mixing low speed about 3-4 minutes until smooth, then another 3-4 minutes. it will be a very stiff dough.
- Add the butter piece by piece, scraping the bowl and encouraging the butter to mix in smoothly as needed with a spatula.
- Once the butter is completely incorporated, mix on medium speed for another 15 minutes until the cough is sticky and shiny.
- Stir 1 minute on medium high to finish off. Should make a slapping sound in the bowl. It should stretch when pulled, not be too loose or break. If it is too loose, add a little flour. If it breaks, stir another couple minutes.
- Place dough in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. The wrap should be in contact with the top surface of the dough. Proof the dough in the refrigerator for 6 hours to overnight.
- Mix sugars, nuts and cinnamon in small bowl for filling.
- Shape Petal Torte:
(This part was in a viral video, but the ingredients list with the video is wrong.) facebook.com/video.php?v=82140577123...
Using HALF the dough recipe, divide dough into 4 equal quarters and shape each into a ball.
Roll each portion out to a circle about 10 inches across, using a plate or other kitchenware to cut a perfect circle of each. Place the circle on a piece of parchment paper.
Spread first circle with filling leaving a scant inch around the edge clean of filling. Place each of second and third circles of dough on top and spread each in the same manner, top with the 4th circle of cough.
Set a glass in the center to mark a circle. Using a board scraper so you don’t cut the paper, mark the dough in quarters, cutting four radii, then divide each quarter in half then half again for 16 evenly sized spokes. Taking 2 adjacent spokes, twist them away from each other twice and place outer tails flat. Work around the torte, twisting each pair. Take each pair of tails and press them together vertically, forming a petal shape, 8 petals. Remove glass. Place on baking sheet using parchment paper to lift.
Cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying out, and let proof/rise until double, light and puffy. (about 4-5 hours) Brush whole surface with egg white taking care not to miss any area.