☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 (¼ ounce) packages of active dry yeast
- 1½ cups water (hot to the touch from the tap)
- ½ cup vegetable oil, or 1/2 cup butter, melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½-3 cups bread flour
- 1 (12.5 ounce) can solo apricot pastry filling
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing on the pastries
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or water
- ½ teaspoon white vanilla
How to Make Apricot Kolacky
- 1Grease a large bowl with shortening set aside.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, add first 6 ingredients and mix on low to medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- 3Add the all-purpose flour and powdered milk; beat for 2 minutes more. Stir in the bread flour and mix well. (You may need to add a little more flour if the batter is too sticky).
- 4Add the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- 5Form the dough into a smooth ball and place it into the greased bowl, turning the dough over so that both sides are greased. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled; approximately 1-2 hours depending on the warmth of the area.
- 6Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- 7Punch down the dough. Divide the dough in half.
- 8On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to ¼ inches thick. Use a glass or a cookie cutter that is 3-4 inches in diameter and cut out rounds of dough as closely as possible so there will not be much dough left over.
Note: Do not re-roll left over dough. It will make the pastry tough.
- 9Place cut-out rounds onto the parchment lined cookie sheets about 1-2 inches apart. Cover with a towel and let sit in a warm place for about 40-45 minutes.
- 10Repeat with the other half of dough.
- 12Brush around the tops and sides of the pastry with 1 beaten egg. Set in a warm place and let rise for another 15-20 minutes; uncovered.
- 13Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 14Bake kolacky at 325 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- 16Glaze: Stir milk into sugar and mix until creamy. Add vanilla. Drizzle over pastries. You can add more confectioners' sugar to make it thicker, or thin it with a little milk or water.