Potato Bread (Pennsylvania Dutch Style)
- 1 medium
- potato, peeled and cut into cubes (about 1/2-2/3 cup mashed)
- 1/2 c
- cake yeast (from a 2 ounce cake) ---or--- 1 1/4-ounce packet active dry yeast (see note below about yeast)
- 1 tsp
- 3/4 c
- warm water (110 to 115 degrees f)
- 6 1/2 - 7 c
- bread flour (approx. 1 2- pound bag + more for kneading)
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/4 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 2 - 2 1/2 c
- warm water (part of which is potato cooking liquid)
- cornmeal (for dusting baking sheet)
- 2 - 3 Tbsp
- additional melted butter to brush on finished loaves
How to Make Potato Bread (Pennsylvania Dutch Style)
- 1Cook potatoes in 1/2 cup water until soft. Strain cooking liquid into bowl and save. Mash potatoes and set aside.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the 3/4 cup warm water, sugar and yeast. Gently stir to combine and set aside for 5-6 minutes to "bloom".
- 3Meanwhile, in a very large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Add the water, potatoes, butter and yeast mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon. (At this point, if the mixture seems dry add a little more water. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more flour.)
- 4Mix with hands and knead for about 2-3 minutes to incorporate all of the ingredients. Mixture will be slightly sticky but should not stick too much to side of bowl.
- 5Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 6Punch down dough and knead for 2-3 minutes using additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Dough should feel smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 7Punch down dough and knead for 2-3 minutes using additional flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- 8Divide dough in half and form each half into a round loaf. Place each loaf on a parchment-lined baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 9Cover and let rise 1 hour. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 10When ready to bake, cut an "X" on top of each loaf. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped with fingertip.
- 12To store, wrap in waxed paper and then place in a plastic bag.
- 13****Note**** 1 2-ounce cake of yeast is equivalent to 1 strip (3 1/4-ounce packets) of active dry yeast.