Mom's Beer-Battered Cheese Bread
- 8 oz
- gruyere cheese, 4 ounces shredded and 4 ounces cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 12 oz
- light-bodied beer, such as budweiser
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, melted
How to Make Mom's Beer-Battered Cheese Bread
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- 2Combine shredded and cubed cheese, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper in large bowl. Stir in beer and mix until well combined. Pour into loaf pan, spreading batter to corners. Drizzle melted butter evenly over top of batter.
- 3Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool bread in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack. Cool completely and slice as desired. (Although this bread can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, after the second day the bread is best toasted.)
- 4Beer-Batter Bread with Smoked Gouda and Bacon: substitute 8 ounces smoked Gouda for Gruyere. Stir 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled, into bowl with cheese.
- 5Beer-Battered Bread with Cheddar and Jalapeno: substitute 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar for Gruyere. Stir 2 seeded and minced jalapeno chilies into bowl with cheese.