Honey Oat Quick Bread
- 1 c
- plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, or quick-cooking (not instant) oats, divided
- 2 1/3 c
- cups white whole-wheat flour (or use half white, half whole-wheat flour)
- 2 1/4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp
- 8 oz
- (scant 1 cup) plain yogurt
- large egg
- 1/4 c
- canola oil
- 1/4 c
- clover honey, or other mild honey
- 3/4 c
How to Make Honey Oat Quick Bread
- 1Position rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°F. Generously coat a 9-by-5-inch (or similar size) loaf pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon oats in the pan. Tip the pan back and forth to coat the sides and bottom with oats.
- 2Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork, beat the remaining 1 cup oats, yogurt, egg, oil and honey in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in milk.
- 3Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until thoroughly incorporated but not overmixed (don't overmix or the bread will be tough).
Scrape the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon oats over the top.
- 4Bake the loaf until well browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. It’s normal for the top to crack.
Let stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a table knife around and under the loaf to loosen it if needed and turn it out onto the rack.
Let cool until barely warm, about 45 minutes.