Gilroy, California Garlic Bread
- (2 1/2 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 c
- warm water
- 1 c
- cottage cheese, warmed (preferably small curd)
- garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 Tbsp
- dried oregano
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- garlic or 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 2 1/2 c
- all-purpose flour
How to Make Gilroy, California Garlic Bread
- 1Soften the yeast in the water in a large bowl.
- 2Add the cottage cheese, garlic, egg, oil, oregano, sugar, salt, and baking soda and stir well.
- 3Add the flour to the mixture, blend well, and put in a warm place to rise, loosely covered, until doubled in size.
- 4Stir the dough down and turn out into a well-greased, 2-quart casserole dish. Let rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 5Bake the bread for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned, then let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
- 6Note: If you wish, you can add some chopped fresh parsley, savory, or basil (1/2 teaspoon each) for a tasty garlic-herb bread.