Everything Tastes Better with Bacon Cornbread
1 call purpose flour
4 Tbspgranulated sugar (see note below)
4 tspbaking powder
1 Tbspsmooth peanut butter, melted
1/4 cbacon drippings, reserved from frying bacon, or vegetable oil
1/2 lbbacon (approx. 8 slices) cooked, crumbled
How to Make Everything Tastes Better with Bacon Cornbread
- Fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel and crumble well. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon grease.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- To the dry ingredients in the bowl, add eggs, peanut butter, 1/4 cup bacon drippings or vegetable oil and milk; mix to incorporate. Stir in crumbled bacon.
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Pour 1 Tablespoon reserved bacon drippings into a 10" cast iron skillet or 9" square baking pan. Swirl around to cover bottom and sides of skillet or pan. Place into the oven while preheating.
- When oven has reached 425º, carefully remove skillet or pan. It will be VERY hot. Quickly pour in cornbread batter and return pan to oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan.
- Note: If a sweeter cornbread is desired, add 1-2 additional Tablespoons of sugar, or until desired sweetness is reached.