Cheddar Bacon Cornbread
I added 2 crushed Habanero peppers to this cornbread, and boy was it ever good! You can leave out the heat of course. Mine was a little darker than usual...some in my house like the cheese nice and crispy on top. Yum!
- 1 large
- 1/4 c
- 1 1/2 c
- dried habanero peppers, crushed - heat is optional
- 2 c
- self-rising enriched white corn meal mix
- 1/2 lb
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 - 3/4 c
- shredded, cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c
- oil for skillet
How to Make Cheddar Bacon Cornbread
- 1Preheat oven to 450ºF. Coat 8-inch ovenproof skillet with about 1/4 cup oil, or enough keep from sticking.
Heat skillet for a good 5 - 10 minutes. Oil should be good and hot, so when you add the batter it sizzles.
- 3Batter should be creamy and pourable. If too thick, add 1 or 2 tablespoons more milk. Pour into prepared skillet or pan.
Sprinkle bacon and cheese evenly over batter. Using a fork, drag in a zig - zag motion throughout the batter, not going through to the bottom of the pan. As you don't want the cheese and bacon on the bottom.