Cast Iron Smoky Bacon Jalapeno Popper Cornbread
1/2 lbsmoky bacon
1/2 cdiced jalapenos
1 1/2 cshredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cvegetable oil
1/2 cplain greek yogurt
1 cwhite flour
3/4 cyellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
How to Make Cast Iron Smoky Bacon Jalapeno Popper Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a large cast iron skillet in the oven while preheating.
- Slice/chop bacon. Set aside.
Dice jalapenos. Set aside.
Shred cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the vegetable oil, honey, eggs, yogurt and milk.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium skillet cook the bacon half way through-do NOT cook to crisp.
- Remove bacon, reserve bacon fat. You will want 3 tablespoons of fat. Add butter and melt to make 3 tablespoons if needed.
- To the dry ingredients add the bacon and diced jalapenos. Toss well to combine.
- Add the cheese to the dry ingredients. Toss well to combine.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Remove hot cast iron skillet from oven. Pour in the bacon fat and give it a good swirl to coat the bottom of pan.
- Using a spatula scrape in the cornbread mixture.
- Return skillet to oven and bake for 40 minutes. Using a toothpick check to make sure bread is done. Since ovens vary you may need to cook this for another 5 to 10 minutes.