☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/4 cwhole wheat flour
3 1/2 call-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
2 tspkosher salt
1 2/3 clukewarm water
2 tspactive-dry yeast
2 tspolive oil
How to Make Pizza Dough
- Place the flours and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.(Or knead by hand.)
- Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl and let sit for five minutes until the mixture bubbles slightly.
- Add the olive oil and stir.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the oil-water mixture into the bowl.
- Knead until the dough is firm and smooth, under 10 minutes.
- The dough will be very wet and sort of difficult to work with. I liberally coat my hands with flour before attempting to remove it.
- Divide the dough into four balls, about 7½ ounces each.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. (Be sure to oil the parchment paper.)
- Place two balls on a sheet. Lightly rub the balls with olive oil, then cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- The dough is very sticky and wet, so, be sure to coat the balls or the plastic with oil.
- Let the balls rise in a warm spot until they have doubled in bulk, about two hours.
- Note: This dough freezes beautifully. After the initial rise, punch down the dough, wrap it in plastic and place in a Ziploc bag.
- Freeze for several months. When ready to use, let sit at room temperature for about an hour, then proceed with rolling/topping/baking.
- To roll out the dough:
Dab your fingers in flour and then place one ball on a generously floured work surface.
- Press down in the center with the tips of your fingers, spreading the dough with your hand.
- When the dough has doubled in width, use a floured rolling pin (or continue using floured hands if you are skilled at making pizzas) and roll out until it is very thin, like flatbread.
- The outer portion should be a little thicker than the inner portion.
If the dough is being very stubborn, let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. In this time, the gluten will relax, and the dough will be much easier to work with.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or grease lightly with olive oil.
- Place rolled out dough onto parchment paper or greased pan.
- Drizzle dough with a little olive oil and with your hand, rub it over the surface to coat evenly
- Top with your favorite sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Place pizza in your very hot oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly brown and the cheese is melting.