☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1/4 c
- whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 c
- all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 2/3 c
- lukewarm water
- 2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- active-dry yeast
- 2 tsp
- olive oil
How to Make Pizza Dough
- 1Place the flours and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.(Or knead by hand.)
- 2Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl and let sit for five minutes until the mixture bubbles slightly.
- 3Add the olive oil and stir.
- 4With the mixer on low, gradually add the oil-water mixture into the bowl.
- 5Knead until the dough is firm and smooth, under 10 minutes.
- 6The dough will be very wet and sort of difficult to work with. I liberally coat my hands with flour before attempting to remove it.
- 7Divide the dough into four balls, about 7½ ounces each.
- 8Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. (Be sure to oil the parchment paper.)
- 9Place two balls on a sheet. Lightly rub the balls with olive oil, then cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- 10The dough is very sticky and wet, so, be sure to coat the balls or the plastic with oil.
- 11Let the balls rise in a warm spot until they have doubled in bulk, about two hours.
- 12Note: This dough freezes beautifully. After the initial rise, punch down the dough, wrap it in plastic and place in a Ziploc bag.
- 13Freeze for several months. When ready to use, let sit at room temperature for about an hour, then proceed with rolling/topping/baking.
- 14To roll out the dough:
Dab your fingers in flour and then place one ball on a generously floured work surface.
- 15Press down in the center with the tips of your fingers, spreading the dough with your hand.
- 16When the dough has doubled in width, use a floured rolling pin (or continue using floured hands if you are skilled at making pizzas) and roll out until it is very thin, like flatbread.
- 17The outer portion should be a little thicker than the inner portion.
If the dough is being very stubborn, let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. In this time, the gluten will relax, and the dough will be much easier to work with.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- 20Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or grease lightly with olive oil.
- 21Place rolled out dough onto parchment paper or greased pan.
- 22Drizzle dough with a little olive oil and with your hand, rub it over the surface to coat evenly
- 23Top with your favorite sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- 24Place pizza in your very hot oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly brown and the cheese is melting.